During your business ventures in China, you may have come across successful businessman and women and – who knows you even met tycoon such as Alibaba’s Jack Ma. But how familiar are you with other business leaders in China? Test your knowledge by this list that Club China compiled from the ‘Top 100 of Outstanding Entrepreneurs’.
The original list was published by China’s communist party and the All-China Federation of Industry and Commerce (ACFIC) on the occasion of the 40th anniversary of China's reform and opening-up. The publication shows the increasing importance of China’s private economic development: China’s private firms contribute 60 per cent of the country’s gross domestic product and provide 80 per cent of all jobs in urban areas.
These are the important persons on the list, combined with some lesser-known faces that are on their way of becoming a true icon in China’s economy. The list also features some business leaders who have retreated behind or even passed away as long as they once played emblematic roles in China's private economic development.
Obviously Jack Ma, chairman of Alibaba Group, which also owns the South China Morning Post and Pony Ma, chairman of Tencent – both appear in the list. These icons of China’s business arena are joined by Ren Zhengfei, president of Huawei Technologies, Lenovo founder Liu Chuanzhi, Evergrande chairman Xu Jiayin, and Xiaomi founder Lei Jun.
But did you know…
- Tao Huabi is one of only five women on the list; she is the chairwoman of Laoganma Special Flavour Foodstuffs Co, which is famed for its hot chilli sauce.
- Zhang Yiming, the 35 year-old founder of Bytedance, one of China’s largest content platforms. He is the youngest entrepreneur on the list.
- Nian Guangjiu, owner of Shazi Guazi snack brand, 81 years old, the oldest on the list
- Chen Dongsheng, chairman and CEO of Taikang Insurance Group, the only entrepreneur from a financial enterprise.
The ‘Top 100 of Outstanding Entrepreneurs’ is not the only ‘who is who’. On ‘The Ranker’ you will find more notable business tycoons, with bios and photos. Some of the entrepreneurs were born in China, some immigrated to China.
- Idy Chan Yuk Lin is a popular Hong Kong TV actress
- Li Ka-shing is a Hong Kong business magnate, investor, and philanthropist. He is the Chairman of the Board of Hutchison Whampoa Limited and Cheung Kong Holdings as of 2008; through them, he is the world's largest operator of container terminals and the world's largest health and beauty retailer.
- Tan Sri Dato Seri Lim Goh Tong was a prominent wealthy Malaysian Chinese businessman. He was renowned for his vision and courage in transforming Genting Highlands from an unexplored hilltop into one of the world's most successful casino resorts. He was once the richest man in Malaysia with a net worth of US$4.2billion
- Robin Li or Li Yanhong is a Chinese Internet entrepreneur. He co-founded the Chinese search engine Baidu. Li studied information management at Peking University and the University at Buffalo, The State University of New York. In 2000 he founded Baidu with Eric Xu.
Stanley Ho also known as Ho Hung Sun, Stanley Ho Hung Sun, is a Hong Kong and Macanese business magnate. Ho has been nicknamed "The King of Gambling".